Friends
I’ve seen the resiliency in so many of the refugees coming into Clarkston. The pictures and stories of the things they’ve endured don’t always seem to line up with the outer strength they show. How many of us would crumble if our families and towns were completely wiped out? Yet, they find strength in each other. Hospitality is huge in Middle Eastern cultures, and I’m finding I have a lot to learn- both about giving and receiving.
I found out last week that I’d (unknowingly) offended someone. My friend, A, had asked last Monday if I’d accompany her and some of her friends to the optometrist in order to help fill out the forms. Besides school work, I’d had no other commitments, so we packed up M’s work and headed out to help. Afterwards we were invited back to their apartment for coffee and tea, but I politely declined. We still had school work that hadn’t gotten finished in the waiting room, dinner to fix, and I was worried that whatever was served might throw off my blood sugars. (I’ve got gestational diabetes, and it hasn’t been as easily controlled as it was with M & H).
My friend, A, came over on Thursday and as we talked, she shared that her friend didn’t think I liked her. I assured her that I did, but apparently I’d let too much time pass without a visit and an opportunity for them to show their appreciation. Oops. From my time getting to know A, I’d say fifty percent of her evenings are spent entertaining friends (or at a friend’s house). Nothing elaborate, generally just tea or coffee and maybe some fruit. Often dinner is eaten much earlier by the family, though if I’m there at meal time she always insists on my staying and eating too.
I grew up in the country. My mom’s students would come by unannounced to fish in our pond, but that was about it. In Bainbridge too, we lived too far out for people to just drop by more than once in a blue moon. Play dates and time with friends was scheduled at least a few days in advance. I tried to make sure we had plenty of time for social activities, but not to the point that every moment of every day was dictated by the calendar. I guess this country girl has a lot to learn about city life- particularly when your friends and neighbors are from all around the world. I’m getting more used to dropping by other people’s apartments and having them drop by mine, but I’m still very much a homebody who is generally content just hanging out with the family.
I have a great group of friends and am so thankful that God has brought such women into my life. I’m terrible about keeping up with friends as I, or they, have moved but each has meant so much to me! I wonder though what our relationships would be like if we spent more time together as a community. Not doing anything in particular, just being together. Nothing elaborate- just ourselves and maybe a cup of tea.
I got to spend time just being with some friends this weekend. I felt strengthened and encouraged after talking to each of them. Life isn’t always easy, and it can be more difficult when you feel like you’re going through things alone. As I was thinking about these things, this story of Moses came to mind. It isn’t as well known as the burning bush or the parting of the sea; it may not bring images to mind of the tablets inscribed by the hand of God, but maybe you can relate to it as I did.
Moses had the foresight to bring Aaron and Hur with him. He didn’t go up the hill alone. Sometimes we try to fight battles alone and wonder why we’re so easily defeated when we lower our hands. Sometimes we feel the need to overcomplicate things. Instead we may just need someone there physically, and as I often see from my new friends, it’s often nothing more than sharing tea together.
A friend and I were talking about how different we are and yet we each came into each other’s lives when we needed a friend. I’m glad that not all of my friends are like me. I don’t think I’d grow as much. I have so much to learn from them and so many life experiences I can share too. There is much to glean from my new friends in Clarkston as well. And I have a lot to share with them- as much strength as they draw from their friends and community, there is a friend who can give us a strength as no other. How blessed we are that he has chosen us- not to be his servants, but to be his friends!
I found out last week that I’d (unknowingly) offended someone. My friend, A, had asked last Monday if I’d accompany her and some of her friends to the optometrist in order to help fill out the forms. Besides school work, I’d had no other commitments, so we packed up M’s work and headed out to help. Afterwards we were invited back to their apartment for coffee and tea, but I politely declined. We still had school work that hadn’t gotten finished in the waiting room, dinner to fix, and I was worried that whatever was served might throw off my blood sugars. (I’ve got gestational diabetes, and it hasn’t been as easily controlled as it was with M & H).
My friend, A, came over on Thursday and as we talked, she shared that her friend didn’t think I liked her. I assured her that I did, but apparently I’d let too much time pass without a visit and an opportunity for them to show their appreciation. Oops. From my time getting to know A, I’d say fifty percent of her evenings are spent entertaining friends (or at a friend’s house). Nothing elaborate, generally just tea or coffee and maybe some fruit. Often dinner is eaten much earlier by the family, though if I’m there at meal time she always insists on my staying and eating too.
I grew up in the country. My mom’s students would come by unannounced to fish in our pond, but that was about it. In Bainbridge too, we lived too far out for people to just drop by more than once in a blue moon. Play dates and time with friends was scheduled at least a few days in advance. I tried to make sure we had plenty of time for social activities, but not to the point that every moment of every day was dictated by the calendar. I guess this country girl has a lot to learn about city life- particularly when your friends and neighbors are from all around the world. I’m getting more used to dropping by other people’s apartments and having them drop by mine, but I’m still very much a homebody who is generally content just hanging out with the family.
I have a great group of friends and am so thankful that God has brought such women into my life. I’m terrible about keeping up with friends as I, or they, have moved but each has meant so much to me! I wonder though what our relationships would be like if we spent more time together as a community. Not doing anything in particular, just being together. Nothing elaborate- just ourselves and maybe a cup of tea.
I got to spend time just being with some friends this weekend. I felt strengthened and encouraged after talking to each of them. Life isn’t always easy, and it can be more difficult when you feel like you’re going through things alone. As I was thinking about these things, this story of Moses came to mind. It isn’t as well known as the burning bush or the parting of the sea; it may not bring images to mind of the tablets inscribed by the hand of God, but maybe you can relate to it as I did.
Exodus 17:8-14Moses didn’t have the strength to continue on his own. Aaron and Hur came along side him to hold his arms up when he just couldn’t do it anymore. Do we have friends in our lives that do that for us? People that hold us up (physically, or spiritually) when we just don’t have the strength to reach up to heaven for another minute. I know people have done that for me. They sat me down and reached up to heaven for me. They may not know how long the battle will last, but they keep lifting. They may feel like they aren’t doing much of anything, and yet, if they stop the battle may be lost.
The Amalekites Defeated
8 The Amalekites came and attacked the Israelites at Rephidim. 9 Moses said to Joshua, “Choose some of our men and go out to fight the Amalekites. Tomorrow I will stand on top of the hill with the staff of God in my hands.”
10 So Joshua fought the Amalekites as Moses had ordered, and Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill. 11 As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. 12 When Moses’ hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other—so that his hands remained steady till sunset. 13 So Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword.
14 Then the LORD said to Moses, “Write this on a scroll as something to be remembered and make sure that Joshua hears it, because I will completely blot out the name of Amalek from under heaven.”
Moses had the foresight to bring Aaron and Hur with him. He didn’t go up the hill alone. Sometimes we try to fight battles alone and wonder why we’re so easily defeated when we lower our hands. Sometimes we feel the need to overcomplicate things. Instead we may just need someone there physically, and as I often see from my new friends, it’s often nothing more than sharing tea together.
A friend and I were talking about how different we are and yet we each came into each other’s lives when we needed a friend. I’m glad that not all of my friends are like me. I don’t think I’d grow as much. I have so much to learn from them and so many life experiences I can share too. There is much to glean from my new friends in Clarkston as well. And I have a lot to share with them- as much strength as they draw from their friends and community, there is a friend who can give us a strength as no other. How blessed we are that he has chosen us- not to be his servants, but to be his friends!
John 15:14-16
14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.
I enjoyed reading this. You are correct. Living in the country and living in the city is different. The only time in your young life when people regularly dropped by, was when we lived in Oman and Bulgaria. We kept cokes and cookies on hand at both of those places. It was nice. My childhood at the park was filled with people dropping by every day, and because we had so many relatives in town, they often dropped by unannounced. Sometimes they stayed for a meal, sometimes not. Your blog also made me think of Fuad and Huanina. He kept the children while Huanina was in Japan. I think they have a very equal marriage. You probably don't remember Hind, but she was a very independent woman. They were all strict Muslims. I am glad that you, Tommy and the girls are having this opportunity. Understanding others has always made my own faith stronger.
ReplyDelete