Given much

The girls have noticed differences between their lives and those of our neighbors. I try not to point certain things out, but address them as they naturally occur and this was one of them. As we were driving to our homeschool group one day, M asked me why we had items that our friends didn’t have. I tried my best to explain that quite simply, I don’t know. I don’t know why we were born into safe and secure homes. I don’t know why we were blessed with the intellectual capabilities to succeed at college. I don’t know why. I have an incomplete picture of things- only God sees the bigger picture. But I shared with the girls part of Luke 12:48:

“From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.”
I explained that we have been given so much- God has been so good to us- we are therefore called to use what we have been entrusted with and give back to others. I felt like a parenting failure when M then responded with “Oh, like giving people our old toys that we don’t want or play with anymore?” No dear- that’s me clearing things out because we have too much- Christ doesn’t ask for our old used discards- he wants our best. He sacrificed everything for us and we are called to be like him. I talked to them about how hard it was to move away from family and friends and how giving up those things of importance are sometimes the hard things we are called to do.

I did not share with them the preceding verses
“47 The servant who knows the master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what the master wants will be beaten with many blows. 48 But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.” Luke 12:47-48.

The time will come I’m sure when they will ask more in depth questions about why we have chosen to leave the known comforts of this world for a life that could very well bring danger and risks. The truth is though- we believe this is God’s will for our lives and we want to make sure we serve our master with the commands he has given us.

Not everyone is called to leave- but are we being obedient in the task God has set before us? Sometimes I can answer yes, but sometimes I fail. More than the material possessions I have are the spiritual gifts I have been blessed with. I had the privilege of being raised in a Christian home and more than anything was taught to love others and view others as being made in God’s image. My mother loves family history and generation upon generation has stood firm in the faith. I have been given much. T has been given an amazing gift of knowledge and wisdom. He has learned so much and different ways to share that knowledge with others. We have the privilege of serving God and answering the call we have been given. What has God asked of you? Have you been given much in order to serve your master?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hedge of Protection

Part 2- The World divided

.....aaaannnndddd cut!