sweat equity
Sweat shops and child labor are not things I typically think about but I can’t shake them from my heart and mind. I recently found out that more than one of the children in the neighborhood started working at the age of eight before coming here. Eight… that’s two years older than M. I feel like it’s a battle to get her to clean her room… how on earth would she be ready to hold down employment in two short years?
I know that part of her lack of responsibility is a direct result of my American mothering and catering to her needs, wants and whims. I’m trying to change that. But really, what eight year old is ready to work? I know the families sought this employment out of need. If you have to feed your family, you do what you have to do and everyone pitches in.
I read this article a while back and my mind keeps wandering back to it again and again. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/05/11/i-had-to-wear-pampers-many-poultry-industry-workers-allegedly-cant-even-take-bathroom-breaks/
Many new refugees work at the chicken factory. I don’t know that any of them are working under these conditions, but it left me wondering. Do we turn a blind eye in order to save a few dollars? Is the factory they work at one of the ones in question? How do I know how people were treated when I’m grocery shopping? There’s a huge push for organic and cage free chickens or eggs… but who are interested in the people who work at the chicken factory?
There’s a popular store just down the road from us that employees quite a few refugees. They often don’t get days off and their pay is low. But you can buy food that’s certified to show that the animals were treated well. Their food isn’t cheap and yet the employees don’t reap the benefits. They know that if employees leave, they’ll just get a new refugee to take their place. Our new friends used to work there and now work at another store in different shifts so that someone can be at home with their kids. They work hard to make ends meet and are not living above their means. Despite the split hours and extended time driving, they are much happier in their new jobs.
When we opened the coffee shop, it was important to me to carry Fair Trade coffee whenever possible. (Not all regions had Fair Trade as an option, but about 50% of our coffee was). I know the coffee industry is notorious for deplorable working conditions and I didn’t want to be a part of the problem. I felt that if I knew the plight of workers and did nothing, I would be accountable for my inaction.
I know that part of her lack of responsibility is a direct result of my American mothering and catering to her needs, wants and whims. I’m trying to change that. But really, what eight year old is ready to work? I know the families sought this employment out of need. If you have to feed your family, you do what you have to do and everyone pitches in.
I read this article a while back and my mind keeps wandering back to it again and again. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/05/11/i-had-to-wear-pampers-many-poultry-industry-workers-allegedly-cant-even-take-bathroom-breaks/
Many new refugees work at the chicken factory. I don’t know that any of them are working under these conditions, but it left me wondering. Do we turn a blind eye in order to save a few dollars? Is the factory they work at one of the ones in question? How do I know how people were treated when I’m grocery shopping? There’s a huge push for organic and cage free chickens or eggs… but who are interested in the people who work at the chicken factory?
There’s a popular store just down the road from us that employees quite a few refugees. They often don’t get days off and their pay is low. But you can buy food that’s certified to show that the animals were treated well. Their food isn’t cheap and yet the employees don’t reap the benefits. They know that if employees leave, they’ll just get a new refugee to take their place. Our new friends used to work there and now work at another store in different shifts so that someone can be at home with their kids. They work hard to make ends meet and are not living above their means. Despite the split hours and extended time driving, they are much happier in their new jobs.
When we opened the coffee shop, it was important to me to carry Fair Trade coffee whenever possible. (Not all regions had Fair Trade as an option, but about 50% of our coffee was). I know the coffee industry is notorious for deplorable working conditions and I didn’t want to be a part of the problem. I felt that if I knew the plight of workers and did nothing, I would be accountable for my inaction.
James 5I wonder though. How many of us are ignoring tell tale signs that there’s a problem? If we can buy something at rock bottom prices (and the expiration date or season hasn’t passed) chances are there isn’t a profit margin that allows benefits for the employees. This includes food, clothes, merchandise… anything really. What can we do to insure we are not defrauding laborers of their wages? I believe as a Christian how I take care of the world and the animals is important… but the people matter more. Christ came down as a man, man was created in God’s image… I plan to continue buying cage free eggs… but more importantly I want to know that the person who plucked and deboned the chicken is being treated with human dignity.
4 Look! The wages you failed to pay the workers who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. 5 You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter.[a]
Malachi 3
5 “So I will come to put you on trial. I will be quick to testify against sorcerers, adulterers and perjurers, against those who defraud laborers of their wages, who oppress the widows and the fatherless, and deprive the foreigners among you of justice, but do not fear me,” says the LORD Almighty.
Comments
Post a Comment