multiplication part 1
I’m in a group on Monday nights and we’re reading a book called ‘Spiritual Multiplication in the Real World’ by Bob McNabb. It’s been so good in so many ways!! We’re on week 6 of 10 and plan to continue in some fashion even after finishing the formal study. The study & group have given me tools and accountability for better reaching those in our neighborhood, but more than that I’m really seeing my dependence on the body more and more.
I came to appreciate the church in a new way when we were in Idaho too. It’s interesting. Growing up in the Bible belt, you tend to assume that most everyone you meet has the same core beliefs about faith (even if they aren’t in church on Sunday mornings). I realize this is a gross generalization and is becoming further and further from the truth but most people can spit out the ‘right’ answers. In Idaho, Christians were in the minority… less than 5% of the population in the town we lived in. People were in church because it was where they longed to be, not because there were any societal expectations or pressure from family. Clarkston isn’t exactly the same, but I can see some similarities. There is an amazing body of believers who are here because we want to be but we are greatly outnumbered by the unbelievers around us.
I’m seeing my need for the body of Christ in a new way. I think it’s easy to underappreciate it when it’s always been there… you tend to assume that it will always continue to be there. Sadly, it isn’t true. As a whole, the church is not growing. We are not seen as relevant to mainstream society. It’s interesting though, I said I’d love to be a part of this study because I want to better learn how to reach unbelievers, but in the process I’m finding God is showing me the importance of loving the believers I’m with in such a way that unbelievers are drawn to that love. I know… it’s not some huge epiphany. John shared it 2000 years ago.
As we were worshiping one night, I looked around and started thinking about how I’m going to be spending an eternity with each of the people in the room. If I’m struggling to love other believers now, what will an eternity look like? I feel like God has been showing me lately how beautiful his bride is, and how much we must pour out love into the church. Yes, we need to demonstrate love for the lost and broken… but if we are not showing love for our brothers and sisters, they will not be drawn to the body.
We talked about how important our testimony can be to share with unbelievers, and I agree, but I’m wanting to know people’s stories within the body of believers. I want to know them deeper and more intimately. Even though I already believe, hearing all that God has done in the lives of others strengthens my own faith and brings God glory. I struggle sometimes balancing time… I want to be Mary, setting things on hold just to spend time with people… but sometimes I’m a Martha, going through the to do list. And sometimes I’m neither… I feel so overwhelmed by the people I should be with or the things I need to do and the time I should be spending in prayer that I tuck my head in the sand (and wish for a nap).
What can we do in this society where we are so busy spinning wheels to focus on the people we’re called to love and love deeply. Not just when there’s a crisis, but day in and day out. Now that we’re away from being in a town that was so church focused, I’m reminded of my need for the body… what part of the body am I called to be? What role will best build up the church… the bride of Christ? I am so thankful for the love the body has shown me. Yes, during the times of crisis, but also just in the day to day moments. I know some of the Christian buzz words are ‘doing life together’ and ‘being in community’ sometimes when I hear them, they sound hokey or fake… but really they’re true. Weaving our lives together in love can draw others in. I’m excited to not just get a chance to spend this life with the believers that I know, but an eternity!
I came to appreciate the church in a new way when we were in Idaho too. It’s interesting. Growing up in the Bible belt, you tend to assume that most everyone you meet has the same core beliefs about faith (even if they aren’t in church on Sunday mornings). I realize this is a gross generalization and is becoming further and further from the truth but most people can spit out the ‘right’ answers. In Idaho, Christians were in the minority… less than 5% of the population in the town we lived in. People were in church because it was where they longed to be, not because there were any societal expectations or pressure from family. Clarkston isn’t exactly the same, but I can see some similarities. There is an amazing body of believers who are here because we want to be but we are greatly outnumbered by the unbelievers around us.
I’m seeing my need for the body of Christ in a new way. I think it’s easy to underappreciate it when it’s always been there… you tend to assume that it will always continue to be there. Sadly, it isn’t true. As a whole, the church is not growing. We are not seen as relevant to mainstream society. It’s interesting though, I said I’d love to be a part of this study because I want to better learn how to reach unbelievers, but in the process I’m finding God is showing me the importance of loving the believers I’m with in such a way that unbelievers are drawn to that love. I know… it’s not some huge epiphany. John shared it 2000 years ago.
34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." (John 13:33-35 NAS)I’ve heard these verses before… and it’s not that I’ve glossed over them… but just not applied them as well. Have I loved so deeply that Christ is seen in me? Have we together loved so deeply that people know we are his disciples? I know in times of crisis I have seen this love, but do we always demonstrate it in the day to day? Our marriage has survived the crisis moments, in large part because of the day to day love we show each other. If we only demonstrated our love during tough times, we wouldn’t make it through the tough times.
As we were worshiping one night, I looked around and started thinking about how I’m going to be spending an eternity with each of the people in the room. If I’m struggling to love other believers now, what will an eternity look like? I feel like God has been showing me lately how beautiful his bride is, and how much we must pour out love into the church. Yes, we need to demonstrate love for the lost and broken… but if we are not showing love for our brothers and sisters, they will not be drawn to the body.
We talked about how important our testimony can be to share with unbelievers, and I agree, but I’m wanting to know people’s stories within the body of believers. I want to know them deeper and more intimately. Even though I already believe, hearing all that God has done in the lives of others strengthens my own faith and brings God glory. I struggle sometimes balancing time… I want to be Mary, setting things on hold just to spend time with people… but sometimes I’m a Martha, going through the to do list. And sometimes I’m neither… I feel so overwhelmed by the people I should be with or the things I need to do and the time I should be spending in prayer that I tuck my head in the sand (and wish for a nap).
What can we do in this society where we are so busy spinning wheels to focus on the people we’re called to love and love deeply. Not just when there’s a crisis, but day in and day out. Now that we’re away from being in a town that was so church focused, I’m reminded of my need for the body… what part of the body am I called to be? What role will best build up the church… the bride of Christ? I am so thankful for the love the body has shown me. Yes, during the times of crisis, but also just in the day to day moments. I know some of the Christian buzz words are ‘doing life together’ and ‘being in community’ sometimes when I hear them, they sound hokey or fake… but really they’re true. Weaving our lives together in love can draw others in. I’m excited to not just get a chance to spend this life with the believers that I know, but an eternity!
Comments
Post a Comment