Training Wheels
Training wheels
Teaching M how to ride a bike didn’t go quite the way I envisioned. I really thought I’d be running behind her holding onto her seat try after try and bandaging plenty of scraped hands and knees. In reality, it was much easier than that. We made an early attempt to remove the training wheels but she seemed frozen in fear. She’d barely make one rotation of the pedals before hopping off declaring she was scared she was about to fall (even though I still had a tight grip of her seat). She didn’t allow herself to get enough speed to really take off. We were getting nowhere so we took the advice of seasoned grandparents and put the training wheels back on, but at a higher level. We taught her to listen for the sound of the training wheels hitting the pavement and how to straighten the bike back up when that happened. After a while riding this way, one of her wheels literally just fell off. She didn’t even realize she was riding without it and stopped not because she was scared, but because she’d reached her intended destination.
Once again fear set in though. She insisted she still needed the training wheel. I wrestled back and forth; do I allow this crutch that she really doesn’t need or do I push her into something she doesn’t feel confident in. I put it back on. As I didn’t have tools where we were, I didn’t put it on very well (this wasn’t intentional, but I was thankful for the way it turned out) and after going a very short distance, the wheel shifted about 90 degrees leaving it attached but rather useless. Only then was M able to really see her own ability. She truly didn’t need it.
I allowed her to continue riding around like this for the next two days because I thought it’d be fun to have her dad there when they were officially removed. By that point, not only was she ready, but she helped remove the bolt holding the remaining training wheel on. As she rode around, she vocalized her excitement with shouts of joy! By the time the training wheels came off, she’d grown accustomed to steadying her bike and only fell a couple of times, and neither of those produced injuries or tears. Her fear was gone!
Sometimes as Christians we get it wrong. We either remove the training wheels too early or not at all. I’ve seen new Christians thrust into leadership positions they aren’t ready for because we see a new passion for Christ and want to channel their excitement. But too often in the process we end up with a bunch of scrapes and bruises because they just aren’t ready. Instead of coming along side and discipiling them, we just dropped them in and expected them to figure it out. Instead of creating independent steady believers, we end up with battered injured people trying to lead others in skills they may not themselves possess.
The flip side is also true though. We allow people to depend on training wheels for far longer than they need. They’re ready for the wheels to come off, but they’re gripped by fear. They depend on things to steady them and keep them safe instead of the inner strength they possess to balance and steer. If our hope rests on things and not on the Holy Spirit to guide us, we’ll never find the freedom that comes with faith in Christ.
This year I feel like I’ve been reminded again and again. As Christians, we must disciple others. That means guiding and leading, but also knowing when it’s time to remove the training wheels. What do you do to reach out to new believers and disciple them? To teach them how to steady themselves when they start to wobble… to be aware of surrounding objects that could cause collisions… to know when to break and when to accelerate… In order to strengthen the church and multiply the gospel message, we must be more intentional, particularly in the foundational period of one’s faith. It is not enough to point them to the Bible and expect them to navigate it independently. We must come along side them in a way that does not create a crutch but also does not leave them wide eyed with fear and confusion.
During one of my recent trips to Bainbridge, I shared the Bible study method that many people here use. It’s called the Discovery Bible Study and it’s pretty basic. Generally after reading a passage, you’d have the members of the group reiterate the passage. This way you can quickly see that they picked up on each major point of the passage. Then you ask four questions.
There’s a reason it’s so basic. It’s reproducible. The questions work no matter the cultural, social or socio-economic backgrounds. As you disciple others, leading them through the Bible, they are also learning the tools to turn around and disciple others. When we ask who we can share this passage with, it changes our mindset from simply being a listener and participant, to thinking about leading others too. That’s the thing… almost everyone can learn to ride a bike. It takes practice and it’s foolish to think that you’ll never fall, but with time you learn how to steady yourself. Just as we can all learn to ride a bike, we can all learn to disciple others too. It may take practice, but then doesn't everything.
As Christians we are commanded to multiply… are you still using training wheels or were they removed so early you’re scared to ride? For those of you who have been Christians for a while, it's time for the wheels to come off. For any new Christians, I pray mature Christians come around you as you learn to balance and steady yourself in your faith so that when the time comes you will be confident and ready.
Teaching M how to ride a bike didn’t go quite the way I envisioned. I really thought I’d be running behind her holding onto her seat try after try and bandaging plenty of scraped hands and knees. In reality, it was much easier than that. We made an early attempt to remove the training wheels but she seemed frozen in fear. She’d barely make one rotation of the pedals before hopping off declaring she was scared she was about to fall (even though I still had a tight grip of her seat). She didn’t allow herself to get enough speed to really take off. We were getting nowhere so we took the advice of seasoned grandparents and put the training wheels back on, but at a higher level. We taught her to listen for the sound of the training wheels hitting the pavement and how to straighten the bike back up when that happened. After a while riding this way, one of her wheels literally just fell off. She didn’t even realize she was riding without it and stopped not because she was scared, but because she’d reached her intended destination.
Once again fear set in though. She insisted she still needed the training wheel. I wrestled back and forth; do I allow this crutch that she really doesn’t need or do I push her into something she doesn’t feel confident in. I put it back on. As I didn’t have tools where we were, I didn’t put it on very well (this wasn’t intentional, but I was thankful for the way it turned out) and after going a very short distance, the wheel shifted about 90 degrees leaving it attached but rather useless. Only then was M able to really see her own ability. She truly didn’t need it.
I allowed her to continue riding around like this for the next two days because I thought it’d be fun to have her dad there when they were officially removed. By that point, not only was she ready, but she helped remove the bolt holding the remaining training wheel on. As she rode around, she vocalized her excitement with shouts of joy! By the time the training wheels came off, she’d grown accustomed to steadying her bike and only fell a couple of times, and neither of those produced injuries or tears. Her fear was gone!
Sometimes as Christians we get it wrong. We either remove the training wheels too early or not at all. I’ve seen new Christians thrust into leadership positions they aren’t ready for because we see a new passion for Christ and want to channel their excitement. But too often in the process we end up with a bunch of scrapes and bruises because they just aren’t ready. Instead of coming along side and discipiling them, we just dropped them in and expected them to figure it out. Instead of creating independent steady believers, we end up with battered injured people trying to lead others in skills they may not themselves possess.
The flip side is also true though. We allow people to depend on training wheels for far longer than they need. They’re ready for the wheels to come off, but they’re gripped by fear. They depend on things to steady them and keep them safe instead of the inner strength they possess to balance and steer. If our hope rests on things and not on the Holy Spirit to guide us, we’ll never find the freedom that comes with faith in Christ.
This year I feel like I’ve been reminded again and again. As Christians, we must disciple others. That means guiding and leading, but also knowing when it’s time to remove the training wheels. What do you do to reach out to new believers and disciple them? To teach them how to steady themselves when they start to wobble… to be aware of surrounding objects that could cause collisions… to know when to break and when to accelerate… In order to strengthen the church and multiply the gospel message, we must be more intentional, particularly in the foundational period of one’s faith. It is not enough to point them to the Bible and expect them to navigate it independently. We must come along side them in a way that does not create a crutch but also does not leave them wide eyed with fear and confusion.
During one of my recent trips to Bainbridge, I shared the Bible study method that many people here use. It’s called the Discovery Bible Study and it’s pretty basic. Generally after reading a passage, you’d have the members of the group reiterate the passage. This way you can quickly see that they picked up on each major point of the passage. Then you ask four questions.
1. What do you learn about God from this passage? (If you’re reading from the New Testament, you might substitute Jesus or the Holy Spirit)Finally ending the group with each individual choosing their “I will…” statement. They may choose who they will tell the story to or what actions they will do based on the story. Someone after reading the Prodigal Son may see their need to forgive someone else or ask for forgiveness.
2. What do you learn about people from this passage?
3. How can we apply this to our lives?
4. Who can we share this passage with?
That’s it. Depending on the passage some people might add the following question too:
5. Does this passage give us a sin to avoid or a command to obey?
There’s a reason it’s so basic. It’s reproducible. The questions work no matter the cultural, social or socio-economic backgrounds. As you disciple others, leading them through the Bible, they are also learning the tools to turn around and disciple others. When we ask who we can share this passage with, it changes our mindset from simply being a listener and participant, to thinking about leading others too. That’s the thing… almost everyone can learn to ride a bike. It takes practice and it’s foolish to think that you’ll never fall, but with time you learn how to steady yourself. Just as we can all learn to ride a bike, we can all learn to disciple others too. It may take practice, but then doesn't everything.
As Christians we are commanded to multiply… are you still using training wheels or were they removed so early you’re scared to ride? For those of you who have been Christians for a while, it's time for the wheels to come off. For any new Christians, I pray mature Christians come around you as you learn to balance and steady yourself in your faith so that when the time comes you will be confident and ready.
Comments
Post a Comment