Insurance

There’s are some trees down that we can’t get ourselves and we were waiting to talk to the insurance adjuster to see what would be covered.  I asked the girls if they knew what insurance was… Hannah replied, “Yes, it’s that bill you pay every month.”


Most times it feels like nothing more than another bill to pay.  But when you need it, you’re thankful you’ve been paying into it every month.


I was talking to a friend of mine about some of the destruction and devastation at Mexico Beach.  She shared that from some of what she’s heard there are lots of people who didn’t have the right type of insurance.  They’ve been paying the bill every month, but their loss won’t be covered.  I get it.  If your house has been around for years, you think it’s withstood the test of time.  Confession: I also sometimes agree to the terms and conditions of things without always reading the fine print.


I don’t know how insurance can cover the losses of farmers with orchards or timbers and it’s more than just this year’s crop that’s gone.  I’m sure there’s a formula, but I’m just as sure everything isn’t covered.  Insurance can’t cover the family heirlooms passed down from generation to generation or the pictures that got washed away.


FEMA is helping people without insurance, but it won’t be enough to rebuild.


Insurance is one of those things, you don’t generally think about it except to wonder why you’re paying so much and whether or not it’s even worth it.  Then comes the moment you need it.  Will you find out if you had the right coverage?


Some people view salvation as an insurance policy too.


We’re going over to minister to people, many of who have “death insurance”.  They have a plan about what will happen and where they will go when they die.  But we believe they’ve got the wrong coverage.  We believe that when they need it, they’ll find out it was the wrong type.


I had someone question us going and sharing our faith in Jesus.  She felt like we needed to just focus on meeting the physical needs of the people there.  The thing is, we’re called to do both and as much as I want the physical needs to be met, it’s my faith that has driven our desire to go.  I don’t want them to skip over the fine print and find out they aren’t covered.  Our love compels us to reach out to people and meet their current needs, but if we only focus on the here and now, we fail to fully live out our faith.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hedge of Protection

Part 2- The World divided

.....aaaannnndddd cut!