Grief


It was surreal watching protests in America unfold while we were in Lebanon and it left me feeling as though I didn’t know how to speak into the situation while I wasn’t here.  This week, despite being here, has just left me speechless though.  In my last post I mentioned that I’ve been trying to hold my tongue and not say things that will cause further division and I believe that’s still true.  But I also believe we are called to cry out, particularly for justice.
 
I’ve been praying throughout the week and trying to listen.  I’ve been trying to seek wisdom from the Father and align my will with His.  As I prayed, I just felt a heavy sense of grief.  It’s an emotion I typically feel throughout January though each year the weight of grief varies.  But this year as I watched the insurrection live on the news, it was not my son that I grieved… it was not even my nation I grieved… 
 
I grieved the souls of those who will turn further from Christ because of what they are now associating with Christianity as ‘right wing conservative’ and ‘evangelical’ have sadly become synonymous.   I grieved for the body of believers who are becoming more and more divided.  I really grieved for those who have experienced true oppression in their lives watch as white supremacists were treated with restraint despite being a clear and present danger while unarmed African Americans regularly lose their lives when there is no danger at all. 

Ephesians 4:29 
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you
 
I believe the actions last week in the US grieved the Holy Spirit.  There was clear bitterness and rage, there was every form of malice.  There were cries about the injustices suffered at the hands of social media platforms without seeking true justice for those whose voices have long been silenced- sometimes permanently. 
 
I believe these actions would have grieved the Holy Spirit if carried out by any of God’s creations… but especially so as so many people carrying out these atrocities proclaim Christ.  You may argue that these people were Christians in name only, but please read this.  When Christianity is associated so closely with such anger, such hatred, such malice, are we not subjecting Christ to public disgrace?  If the church does not clearly speak out against such actions, what other conclusion should be drawn by nonbelievers.  
Hebrews 6:4 
It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit,who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age and who have fallen[c] away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.
 
Have we created idols of our government?  While I was most upset by the mob and those who incited and  have defended them, I was also upset as I heard members of Congress talk about the ways that the ‘temple of democracy was decimated’.  Let me make this clear, our capital is not a place of worship.  

Nations will rise and fall, and our allegiance must not be with them.   The building, the constitution, the president, the political party... these are not worthy of our worship.  Having lived overseas in a country that is in even greater crisis than our own, I can tell you that I am thankful to be a US citizen.  Paul used his Roman citizenship to his advantage as well.  But there's a greater Kingdom that I'm focused on.  
 
Philippians 3:18
 
For, as I have often told you before and now tell you again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ.19 Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things. 20 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ 

This week, there was much to grieve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hedge of Protection

Part 2- The World divided

.....aaaannnndddd cut!