We didn't go inside, but I have a sneaky suspicion that the selection didn't resemble Trader Joe's.
We’ll be living in a major city when we first arrive so we’ll have access to almost everything we’re used to here but shopping will still be very different. While there were some grocery stores and malls very much like ours here, most of the stores were much more specific. Instead of huge chain super center, most places you find separate produce markets, meat markets, bakeries, etc. It wasn’t just food that was like this, we saw stores that specialized in just kitchen décor and appliances, others that only carried bedroom furniture, some that had solely lights. Instead of trying to fit everything into one location, lots of businesses could be found to meet specific needs. On the one hand, grocery shopping could be an all day event, on the other hand, having had a shop that really focused on just two things I have a different view and appreciation of the relationships that can be built this way. And really, since we’re going over to build relationships and share the gospel, all the more opportunities!!
We’ll be able to find most of the food we’re used to, but there will be changes in our diet as well (I think for the better…). Since we’ll be eating at home the majority of the time, I can cook American dishes like tacos and spaghetti (while they may be viewed as international, I also know how Americanized they’ve become). Having been in Clarkston for a while though, the girls are also used to a variety of foods and are pretty easy going.
We’ll have to adjust to the electricity there too. For six hours a day everyone runs on government electricity but the rest of the time we’ll be running off individual generators. This just means I’ll have to be much more organized about when we run the laundry and probably won’t run the ac at the same time. Organization has never been my strong suit so I’m ready for something to force me into it!
I’m still planning on homeschooling the girls, but there’s not a big homeschool community so we’ll have to make more of an effort to get together with kids after school hours. Also, they’ll be learning Arabic (which they started in Clarkston, but will be much more intense in Lebanon) but since I’m learning myself, we’ll have someone else teaching all of us.
I could go on and on, but really what it boils down to is it’s the same… yet different. I know it will be an adjustment for each of us, but there are some differences I'm looking forward to.
Can’t the same be said about each of us? Each of us is the same, created in God’s image and yet unique. And He loves each of us!! Each of us here and each of us there, each of us then and each of us now! We get caught in such a comparison trap that we fail to see ourselves and those around us as people made in the image of an almighty God loved so fiercely that Christ sacrificed His life in order to save ours- and theirs. What an awesome God we serve! |
Comments
Post a Comment