Part 2- The World divided
Part 2
The World divided
The rush to suddenly stop welcoming refugees who only a few months ago were being welcomed with open arms is making my head spin. Can we guarantee that all refugees will be law abiding residents? No. They undergo vigorous interviews and background checks, but there is no way to give people 100% assurance. Can we guarantee that all U.S. born citizens will grow up to become law abiding residents? No. There are untold things that will influence them. There are no guarantees that our citizens won’t leave and join terrorist extremist groups, then return and carry out mass killings. There are no guarantees that our citizens won’t stay and carry out mass killings as lone gunmen.
The bottom line is we don’t have any guarantees in this life. We never have. We never will. We are called to love despite these uncertainties.
I feel safe among the refugees next door to me, even those who do not share my faith. We will continue to eat at their tables and welcome them to eat at ours. Our children will continue to play with their children. I want these newcomers to see the love I have for them. I want this love to draw them to my faith, not push them away from it. It’s love that came from a savior who loved me even though I am unworthy of His love. I have been grafted into His family, but I am not from the natural root. I am an alien, and He welcomed me with arms stretched wide open. He called me to love others as He loved me.
The World divided
The rush to suddenly stop welcoming refugees who only a few months ago were being welcomed with open arms is making my head spin. Can we guarantee that all refugees will be law abiding residents? No. They undergo vigorous interviews and background checks, but there is no way to give people 100% assurance. Can we guarantee that all U.S. born citizens will grow up to become law abiding residents? No. There are untold things that will influence them. There are no guarantees that our citizens won’t leave and join terrorist extremist groups, then return and carry out mass killings. There are no guarantees that our citizens won’t stay and carry out mass killings as lone gunmen.
The bottom line is we don’t have any guarantees in this life. We never have. We never will. We are called to love despite these uncertainties.
NAS Hebrews 13:1 Let love of the brethren continue.We must love our brothers and sisters in Christ first and foremost. But we cannot ignore that we are also called to show hospitality to strangers. I’ve learned so much about hospitality here. While I have tried to show hospitality to strangers, I feel like even more, the strangers have shown hospitality to me. Their doors are always open, their food is always shared freely and in abundance. They have always placed people above things. They have given out of the very little they have, while I have given little from the abundance I have.
2 Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it.
3 Remember the prisoners, as though in prison with them, and those who are ill-treated, since you yourselves also are in the body.
(Heb 13:1-3 NAS)
12 "And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require from you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways and love Him, and to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul,What love do we show to the alien (the immigrant, the refugee)? Most everyone here can trace their family back to the point where they were once aliens in this foreign land. The aliens I have met have been grateful for the opportunity to work here and give back. They are fleeing the terrorists and fear for their families in their homelands. Some of them are fellow believers seeking a safe haven. Others are Muslims afraid of being killed by extremists. As we approach Christmas, we are reminded that Mary and Joseph fled with Christ to escape King Herod’s persecution. They escaped Bethlehem and lived as refugees in Egypt until it was safe to return.
13 and to keep the LORD's commandments and His statutes which I am commanding you today for your good?
14 "Behold, to the LORD your God belong heaven and the highest heavens, the earth and all that is in it.
15 "Yet on your fathers did the LORD set His affection to love them, and He chose their descendants after them, even you above all peoples, as it is this day.
16 "Circumcise then your heart, and stiffen your neck no more.
17 "For the LORD your God is the God of gods and the Lord of lords, the great, the mighty, and the awesome God who does not show partiality, nor take a bribe.
18 "He executes justice for the orphan and the widow, and shows His love for the alien by giving him food and clothing.
19 "So show your love for the alien, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt.
(Deu 10:12-19 NAS)
I feel safe among the refugees next door to me, even those who do not share my faith. We will continue to eat at their tables and welcome them to eat at ours. Our children will continue to play with their children. I want these newcomers to see the love I have for them. I want this love to draw them to my faith, not push them away from it. It’s love that came from a savior who loved me even though I am unworthy of His love. I have been grafted into His family, but I am not from the natural root. I am an alien, and He welcomed me with arms stretched wide open. He called me to love others as He loved me.
Comments
Post a Comment