I got teary last Sunday. Our church asked all the kids to bring their backpacks to church and they prayed over the children and the school year ahead of them. I forgot the backpacks but thankfully my kids weren’t the only ones up there without them. As I listened to them talking about the things that will fill their backpacks over the course of the year, I thought about what our girls backpacks represent. I’m homeschooling them so they’re rarely filled with anything academic. Instead they’re carry-ons. I’ve been eyeing them to size them up and figure out which of their most treasured possessions will fit inside them as we go (in case our checked baggage gets lost). The backpacks will go with us on each of the visa runs and back again for furlough. I’ve yet to experience the mixed emotions that come with the first day of school for most moms, but I sat there half listening half imagining the life to come for my girls. I’m excited for what’s to come, yet I know we’ll also be leaving a lot behind. For now the backpacks are getting filled weekly for sleepovers with the grandparents. I’m thankful for the time they’re getting to spend with family. I’m also moved by the friends and community that have made this transitional time easier. I have to be honest, I was a little nervous about moving back for a little bit. I know we’ve been gone for a while and didn’t want people feeling like we were just popping in and out of their lives. The love that has been poured into us, and especially our kids is so appreciated!
Instead of giving my kids roots, we’re giving them wings. But I’m thankful they have a place and people to continue coming back to that make us all feel a little more grounded. |
Comments
Post a Comment