How do you go about sharing the gospel with people? I like to share stories and also show a personal application. God lined everything up perfectly for me to be able to do so, even if it was a little more close to home and nerve wracking than I’d prefer.
Just after moving back to Bainbridge we were welcomed by life in the country. Tommy had taken the girls for a ride through the woods and they got out to investigate. Hannah was about 10 feet from Tommy and as he looked down he saw a 3 ½ foot rattlesnake heading her way. He quickly grabbed a gun, told her to freeze and shot it’s head off. I’m thankful it was him and not me.
When they came back and told me about it, I was just in awe of God’s protection. If Tommy had seen it too late or hadn’t been able to get a good shot, everything could have easily turned out differently. I was amazed when I asked Hannah if she was scared. She seemed the least rattled of any of us. She told me that she wasn’t worried, she knew her daddy would protect her.
The more I think of this, the more I see it as an amazing illustration of God’s plan for us all.
You see, in the garden, God was able to have a close relationship with each of us. (Just as Tommy was spending time with the girls.) But then Satan came between us and God. (Just as the snake came between Tommy and Hannah.) He created a separation, and we allowed it. God still desired a relationship with us though and made a way for us to come to Him once again. He sent Christ to defeat Satan once and for all and draw us once again into communion with Him. (Tommy was able to shoot it’s head off.) We need to be aware of Satan’s schemes but also obey God and trust Him for our best. (Hannah trusted Tommy and followed the directions, keeping her safe from the snake and the bullets.)
I was able to share this story and the picture as I shared in Lebanon. We pale in comparison to the love God has, but it’s what others can relate to and understand. It’s easy to understand Tommy’s desire to protect his children, it’s easy to see the danger of the snake, it’s easy to understand why Tommy shot it since he had the means and skill. We sometimes struggle with those same things with God though because we don’t always see the picture in the same way.
Pray that I’m able to use this experience again to make God’s love for us visible.
How do you share the Good News with people who have never heard? |
Comments
Post a Comment