Seen and Heard

 

This was taken on the edge of a cluster of tents.  It isn't an official camp but rather they arranged with the landowner to live on the land in exchange for working in the fields.  The top of the mountain in the background runs along the border with Syria.

Hagar has been on my mind lately and I thought maybe I needed to brush up on the story to share with some of the women we minister to in the Bequaa.  Instead, I got to see it.  

Last time I posted I mentioned that I sometimes wonder where our place will be and that we’re seeing the possible roles we might have.  There are times I feel so unqualified for this and yet time and time again in scripture we see flawed people being used by God for his purposes and His glory.  

Abraham was told that he would be the father of a great nation… but he relied on himself to bring forth an heir with his wife’s servant.  He was told he would be a blessing to others… but he couldn’t bring peace within his household and rather than a blessing much anguish was experienced.  But God kept his promise despite Abraham’s impatience and Sarah laughing at the idea.  

God also saw Hagar.  Her pain did not go unnoticed.  She was told to name her son Ishmael, meaning God hears.

 She gave this name to the LORD who spoke to her: "You are the God who sees me," for she said, "I have now seen the One who sees me." 
Genesis 16:13 NIV

We went further out this week.  Many camps are clustered together.  They’re on the outskirts of town so that both the fields and shops are easily accessible.  This place was far from town though.  We brought bags of food for each family living there and then the leader invited us to sit and talk.  The day was beautiful and warm so they spread a rug outside and we all gathered around.

They told us what life had been like for them before the war.  Then they shared the strict regime brought by ISIS and destruction that has made them wonder if they can go back.  They haven’t received help from the UN for the past two years.  They have no permanent homes and their jobs are seasonal.  They have been forgotten by man.  But God has not forgotten them.  He hears their cries and sees their pain.  

I didn’t end up telling them the story of Hagar for a number of reasons, but I hope to soon.  Pray that we would be able to continue reminding them that above all, God sees them and hears them and loves them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hedge of Protection

Part 2- The World divided

.....aaaannnndddd cut!