I’ve been thinking about the shootings in New Zealand on and off since hearing the news. I didn’t see the headlines right away. I hadn’t been on my phone much and had been out in the community. An entirely Muslim community. I don’t know if the news had reached them yet or not, but if it had, they didn’t let on. Instead, they invited a group of Christians into their homes. They served us coffee and we talked. Our pastor has been preaching out of 1 John recently and I was thinking about the Christian love we are called to share. The focus of 1 John is primarily targeting how Christians are called to treat other Christians and I don’t want to take those verses out of context and apply them to the love we should share to unbelievers. How many times do we really show a Christ like love for others? What about the love to show to people of other faith? We are called to be fishers of men. How can we attract people to a God of love if they do not see this love? How will they see the transforming power of Christ in their lives if they don’t desire anything about our lives? Christ sat and shared with the woman at the well. He demonstrated his love for her, despite how society labeled her. He also told her that her beliefs were wrong and corrected the theology. As we’ve shared with Muslims a lot of them have shared some of the myths they’ve heard about Christianity. Some of them theological, others cultural. And yet, they still welcomed us in. They still sat and listened to the stories we shared. We don’t pretend to share their faith. And they don’t pretend to share ours. Some of them are seeing Christ’s love through us though and are drawn to it. I don’t agree with the false teachings of those who died in New Zealand. But I don’t want for them a Christ-less eternity either. I don’t want to see their lives ended. I want to see their eyes opened to the True Word of God. Since hearing the news though I’ve wondered… how many Christians do I know who would have opened their homes up to Muslims? We’ve been told by people in churches that they would be happy with Muslim nations being bombed. They may not have pulled the trigger, but their hearts were in the same place. As a human being and as a Christian, I am appalled at this response. I’m heartbroken by senseless violence but especially sickened when hatred is linked to Christianity because of comments like these. We are called not to hatred, but to go, and love. Sometimes I wonder how many more are thinking it, but not voicing these same sentiments. How are you sharing God’s love with an unbelieving world? Is your witness drawing people to Christ? What are you doing to overcome the evil in the world? |
Comments
Post a Comment