School's out

 

It's summer time.  My facebook newsfeed has been plastered with pictures of awards ceremonies, graduations, and general end of the year posts.  I wish I could be there to celebrate in some of these milestones with you!  Since we had time off mid-year with our move, we've still got a little ways before we finish our math & language arts curriculum.  We taking mini summer break while family is in town.  

Even though I'm a homeschool mom, sometimes I am still ready for summer to end and school to begin again.  Not because I don't enjoy spending the time with the kids, but I also crave the routine and structure.  

Today I visited a family without access to school, but could tell the kids crave the routine and structure that would come from classes.  They are eager to learn, but have never been formally taught.  They want knowledge and understanding... but they don't have that luxury.  

Almost every week a group has gone out to share with them and while the primary focus is sharing Biblical truths, some of our team is also giving them the tools to read those truths for themselves.  I looked over their books they brought out.  They had carefully written the letters, but on some had reversed the positions of the markings.  

I wondered at this rate how long it would be before they were literate.  The refugee kids have an amazing ability to memorize anything shared orally. However, our girls have already surpassed their Arabic writing skills in the short time we've been here. 

While I am a bit biased and do believe my girls are incredibly smart, I also know that a huge part of the reason they love reading is because we've read to them.  A huge reason they enjoy math is because we've helped make it both fun and relevant.  It doesn't come without work and some days I wonder if I'm cut out to be in both the role of mom and teacher.  Then other days they share some amazing insight or work together in perfect unity and I wouldn't have it any other way.  

The kids I saw today aren't the only ones longing to learn.  It's heart breaking though because almost an entire generation is going without school.  The children who should have started kindergarten when the war began, would now be in eighth grade.  By the time they have a school, they may decide it isn't worth it.  They may feel they're too far behind. 

Today I watched as the oldest tried to quickly correct mistakes.  As children get older it's easier to just give up and cope without the skills that could greatly enhance one's life.  I hope that just as Solomon saw the value in wisdom, they might as well, and continue seeking.  



 

 
An intelligent heart acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge.

Proverbs 18:15 ESV

 
Here are some of the kids learning at the center.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hedge of Protection

Part 2- The World divided

.....aaaannnndddd cut!