Something worth flying for...

 At Christmas this year Victoria pulled my sister aside and in all seriousness made the following request demand of her:  She needed her aunt to take her to the airport because she was returning to Lebanon. Victoria went on to explain that all she needed her to do was drop her off, she could do the rest.   

I guess she figured she’d had enough experience navigating airports and generally speaking lacks humility so I think she truly thought her plan would work.  Who needs passports, adult supervision or even tickets?  She was on a mission and determined to see it carried out.  When she failed to convince her aunt, she turned her charm to her grandma. 

 

She added a few details to explain the importance of the trip.  She had to go and get her toys that had been left behind and there was a pink dog in particular that was critically important.  

 

Fast forward to this week.  A teammate made a trip stateside and part of the time had plans to be in South Carolina, just three hours from us.  She graciously brought over some requested toys and books that we’d left behind and I drove over to retrieve them.  I was so excited when I returned to Clarkston to surprise Victoria with her precious puppy.  In the end, I was the one surprised.  

 

She took one look at it, declared it wasn’t what she’d remembered the dog to be like and kept playing with the toys already before her.   I couldn’t believe it!  This was the dog she kept declaring was worth a solo trip to retrieve and she had ZERO interest in it.  I’m so thankful our friends were able to get some of those things because I think Victoria especially would have kept feeling like a part of herself was left behind and I don’t want our unexpected move to be a huge struggle for her. 



1 Corinthians 7:30-31

 

30 Those who weep or who rejoice or who buy things should not be absorbed by their weeping or their joy or their possessions. 31 Those who use the things of the world should not become attached to them. For this world as we know it will soon pass away.

 


How many times do we focus on what was, or what could be and turn it into something that it really might not be?  We can turn things into idols and they really and truly have no lasting worth.  In her mind she would have crossed oceans for it, but in reality didn’t cross the room.  I’m praying that the girls learn that these treasures on earth really aren’t the ones they need to spend their time worried about because in the end, they’ll never measure up.  

 

Matthew 6:19-21

Teaching about Money and Possessions

19 “Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. 21 Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hedge of Protection

Part 2- The World divided

.....aaaannnndddd cut!