Part 1- The Church divided

I’m breaking my thoughts down into three parts this week. I realize I’m not in the vocal majority at the moment, but I hope you’ll hear me out.

Part 1- The Church divided

We came to Clarkston to prepare to go overseas. We expected to minister to the people around us, but we could have never expected the current events and politics to put us in the middle of such a heated controversy. That being said, I feel since we are here and have seen a different side than most Americans, I feel compelled to speak. My voice must be heard because many of the refugees have no voice in this country.

Is the world a scary place? Absolutely! I don’t think anyone denies that. It’s been filled with sin and turmoil and strife since Adam and Eve. The first murder occurred in just the second generation of humans. Do we just sit around and watch the world go down in flames? No. We are called to pray for the world. We are also called to love everybody, because Christ died for us all.

First and foremost, I think we must lift one another up in love within the church.

35 "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." (John 13:35 NAS)

It’s been disheartening to hear some of the perspectives of nonbelievers who have grown up in other faiths and cultures. Their views of Christians are less than ideal. As a whole we are not known for our love. Does this mean that everyone living in our ‘Christian nation’ is automatically a Christian? Less and less people are even officially identifying themselves as Christians, both on the official census as well as unofficial polls. Does it mean that each person that does identify as a follower of Jesus is perfect? Far from it! I sin, I stumble, I fall. Then I humbly repent.

I have not always shown the love to other believers that I need to. There are times I have passed by the injured on the side of the road and hoped some good Samaritan would reach out to them instead. Do outsiders see our love for one another or do they see our division all over social media? Do they see our generosity or do they see us seeking a prosperity gospel? Caring for the orphans and widows can be rewarding, but it can also be difficult emotionally… are we willing to give freely of ourselves or is our time and energy too precious?

Math keeps popping into my brain. Specifically, division. We allow ourselves to be divided. There’s a major problem though. We’re called to multiply.

25 “…there should be no division in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another.
26 And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.
27 Now you are Christ's body, and individually members of it.”
(1Co 12:25-27 NAS)
Division makes things smaller. Multiplication makes things bigger. It’s a pretty basic mathematical principle. Are the things we’re saying and doing dividing or multiplying? Are we drawing people in who want to find out about the Christ that compels us to love each other with devotion or are we pushing people away with our mismatched words and deeds?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hedge of Protection

Part 2- The World divided

.....aaaannnndddd cut!