Arabic makes my brain hurt on a daily basis. It’s hard thinking about everything in the masculine, feminine or plural. I’ve (almost) gotten used to reading from right to left and the different forms the letters take depending on where they’re located in the word. It’s tricky and complicated working between different dialects since we’re living in Lebanon but ministering to Syrians and while most words are the same, many are not.
It’s also complicated working between formal Arabic and dialects. Formal Arabic is used in most written texts, particularly religious writings, but is not spoken by the general public. Just imagine that everything was written in the style of the King James Bible (or older) but spoken as we do now. I tell you this not to complain, but rather to give a glimpse into why Arabic is considered one of the hardest languages for native English speakers to learn. While it is difficult, I feel we’ve also had breakthroughs! I have successfully read a few texts from people without using google translate and I am recognizing more and more words I know in conversation. Tackling a new language as one approaches 40 isn’t something our brains are hardwired for. We start losing the natural ability as we age. But there’s something about Christianity. God can change the wiring.
Romans 12:1-2
Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God-- this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-- his good, pleasing and perfect will.
God can transform our hearts and minds in so many ways. So many times, I view this solely as a spiritual transformation and it is, but I feel like my brain is being transformed now too. Arabic is not simply a means of communicating our physical needs, we are learning it in order to clearly share the Good News! |
Comments
Post a Comment